Why should my child get adjusted?
Spinal dysfunction or nerve irritation at any age can cause pain and effect optimal health. Many spinal problems seen in adults start in childhood. Chiropractic improves spinal function thereby optimizing the body’s ability to heal. Each stage of our life subjects us to a variety of situations which may create spinal dysfunction.
In addition to the birth process, infants may suffer spinal dysfunction due to the simple strain of holding their head up as well as from the bumps and falls they take when first exploring their horizons in crawling and walking.
Children can suffer various injuries from contact sports, falling off a bike or other slips and falls. they may also have poor posture from sitting improperly at school, watching television or playing video games. In addition, children often suffer back strain from over-loaded back packs (packs should not exceed 15% of your child’s weight).
Teens often suffer from the same strains they did a children plus the additional emotional stress, hormonal changes associated with puberty or their growing responsibilities. Chiropractic care can help teenagers adapt to their new bodies.
At what age should I take them?
Chiropractic care can start immediately after birth however your child will benefit from chiropractic care at any age. Bring them in with you for an evaluation during your next appointment.
Are a child’s adjustments different?
Yes! Your chiropractor will modify their adjusting technique based on your child’s size and condition. They may use special instruments or vary the technique and the force of the adjustments.
Often, children’s spines are more flexible than those of adult’s. This means that children often require less adjustments and respond much quicker to chiropractic care.
When a child receives chiropractic care:
- Recurring Ear Infections
- Some respiratory conditions
- Bed wetting
- Frequent colds
- Growing pains or painful joints
- Poor concentration
- Postural problems
- Sinus problems
- Stomach aches or poor appetite
When was your first Spinal Dysfunction?
A great deal of research has been done on the benefits of chiropractic care for children. It is believed that many children may suffer their first spinal problems as a result of the birth process: the process of going through the birth canal and in some cases, the additional strains of forceps or vacuum extractions may put stress on the muscles, joints and spinal nerves of an infant’s neck.
Left uncorrected, this may (but not always) lead to abnormal spinal mechanics and nerve irritation, which can affect the overall well being of the child.
- Children constant suffer falls and tumbles. Regular chiropractic care can correct small problems before they become larger.
- Your chiropractor will use special techniques adapted to your child’s size and condition.
- Maintaining a healthy spine allows the child’s body to optimize it’s overall health.
- Hakala P., Rimpela A., et al., Back, neck and shoulder pain in Finnish adolescents: National cross section surveys. British Medical Journal, 2002
- Gutman G., Blocked atlantal nerve syndrome in babies and infants. Manuelle Medizin, 1987
- Crawford J.P., Byoung Y.H., Asselbergs P.J. Hichson G.S., Vascular ischemia of the cervical spine: a review of the relationship to therapeutic manipulation. JMPT, 1984
- Dvorak J., Baumgartner L., Burn J.B., Concensus and recommendations as to the side effects and complications of manual therapy of the cervical spine. Journal of Manual Medicine, 1991.
- Fossgren J., Complications in manual medicine. Journal of Manual Medicine, 1991
- Nilsson N., Infantile colic and chirorpractic. European Journal of Chiropractic, 1985
- Fallon J.M., The role of the chiropractic adjustment in the care and treatment of 322 children with otitis media. Journal of Clinical Chiropractic Pediatrics, 1997